Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Neutrogena Shine Control Powder Review

I always use a setting powder, and since I recently ran out of my Sephora matte powder foundation, I thought I would try a lighter powder for summer.


Neutrogena says:  Neutrogena® Shine Control Powder helps skin stay shine-free and fresh-looking all day. The lightweight powder with patent-pending rice protein technology acts like a sponge to absorb excess oil and instantly eliminates shine for a fresh look that lasts for 8 hours. Layers invisibly over makeup with a matte finish.

Honestly, I'm not sure what a rice protein complex is or how it works, but it sounds kind of like cool technology and an interesting ingredient.

I'll be finishing this one soon, and I definitely will be  repurchasing it!

This is a translucent, lightweight powder that mattifies without looking chalky.  I like using this with a large, dense brush when setting my makeup, but the included flat, spongey puff also works well.  It is a fairly slim compact, so it is really easy to carry with you for any needed touch ups.



My skin  is usually pretty shiny/oily after I apply my makeup since I use Josie Maran's Argan Oil (which I love) and usually just Stila's tinted moisturizer (which I also love).

I use this to set my makeup after my tinted moisturizer, and it keeps me pretty much shine-free for about 6-7 hours, which really excellent, in my opinion.  I get a little break through shine on my forehead, but most days I don't feel like I need to even re-powder anything and just blot my forehead (if I'm going out in the evening, I'll touch up my makeup and reapply).  I've recently tried the Maybelline Dream Matte powder, and I definitely see a lot more shine much earlier in the day when wearing it, so I know the Neutrogena powder is doing a good job of controlling oil.  It doesn't look chalky or powdery and feels very light on the skin.  It is completely translucent, so don't expect any kind of coverage from this.  It doesn't feel at all drying, like some powders, so I think any skin type could wear this happily.  It gives the skin a beautiful finish that isn't overly matte.

This reminds me quite a bit of MAC's blot powder, but I used that so many years ago that I could be remembering it wrong.

unblended swatch
blended
I'm quite impressed by the Neutrogena Shine Control Powder and definitely recommend it for a translucent setting or touch-up powder, especially for anyone with combination or oily skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment