Thursday, March 5, 2015

Recent Lip Liner Aquisitions

I've been on a lip liner kick lately.  I think it's because I've been watching a ton of youtube makeup tutorial videos lately, and in almost every one, a lip liner/pencil is used.  I only owned 5 lip liners just a few months ago (I got rid of several ancient ones during a recent major makeup cleanout), and I seem to have added a few to my collection fairly recently.




From Rimmel, I picked up two Exaggerate Full Color Lip Liners: East End Snob and Addiction.  The Exaggerate Full Color Lip Liners are retractable and do not require sharpening.  East End Snob is a light neutral pink, and Addiction is a medium cool brown.  They are decently creamy, although not as much as some others I've tried, and I think the swatches below show that a little.  East End Snob is a great go-with-everything shade (and I've heard it's a close dupe for Charlotte Tilbury's Pillow Talk color-wise).


from left: Addiction, East End Snob

From NYX, I bought two Slim Lip Pencils in Nude Pink and Citrine, and one Retractable Lip Liner in Nude Pink.  One of the lip liners I already owned and like is the Slim Lip Pencil in Nectar, so I thought I would give a couple of other shades in the range a go.

NYX Slim Lip Pencil in Citrine is a pretty pearly light mauve pink.  NYX Slim Lip Pencil in Nude Pink is a slightly peachy nude.  The Slim Lip Pencils are not particularly creamy, but Citrine is softer than Nude Pink.  I'm okay with them being slightly stiff.  I think they sharpen more easily and stay sharper longer.

You can see I've used Citrine more than Nude Pink.

from left: Citrine, Nude Pink

NYX Retractable Full Color Lip Liner in Nude Pink is a deep neutral pink that is almost reddish with a hint of sparkle.  It is NOT the same shade as the Slim Lip Pencil in Nude Pink.  I really, really like this lip liner.  It is smooth and creamy, and applies beautifully.  The shade is dark enough to accentuate the shape of the lips when used truly as just a liner.


Nude Pink (the retractable one)

I bought the Clinique Quickliner for Lips in Sky Violet after binge watching Tarababyz videos.  She uses it quite frequently and raves about it, so I decided I had to have it.  It is a beautiful cool mauve pink color with a tiny bit of sparkle that goes with any cool-toned lipstick.  The formula is nice and creamy, and wears wonderfully.  One thing to note, though: even though this is a twist up pencil, you cannot twist it back down to retract it into the pencil, so once it's up, it's up.


Sky Violet

Lastly, I most recently bought the Laura Geller Pout Perfection Waterproof Lip Liner in Cabernet.  I swatched this in Ulta weeks ago and couldn't stop thinking about it, so I decided to splurge and  purchase it.  This is just as creamy as my Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencil and it wears just as well.  The color is a beautiful pink with a hint of mauve and a tiny bit of shimmer.  Gorgeous.


Cabernet

Here they are all together:

from left: Rimmel Addiction and East End Snob Exaggerate Lip Liners; NYX Citrine and Nude Pink Slim Lip Pencils; NYX Nude Pink Retractable Lip Liner; Clinique Sky Violet Quickliner for Lips; Laura Geller Cabernet Pout Perfection Lip Liner

I've really been enjoying using these, and incorporate a lip liner into my makeup routine everyday now (I would only use them once in a while in the past).

I have to say, if you are looking for a new budget-friendly lip liner, try one of the NYX Retractable Lip Liners.  They come in 19 shades ranging from bubblegum pink to black.

6 comments:

  1. Nice additions! I've definitely been jumping back on the lip liner bandwagon too. Loving the look of those NYX liners! I don't own many at the moment, but MAC Subculture and Whirl have been my longtime faves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been considering Soar (yeah, the whole Kylie Jenner fad is influencing me, and it will probably be over by the time I decide to actually buy Soar), Whirl, and Dervish. I owned Spice years and years ago, but didn't wear it much because it was slightly too brown that pulled a little orange on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the liners! East end snob is one of my favorites! I love the NYX liners too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. East End Snob looks good with every lipstick. I like it on it's own for a matte neutral lip, too. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the color of the Laura Gellar liner. I would want to wear that on its own. I use lip liner all the time because otherwise my lipstick turns into a crazy, feathering mess... I mostly just use clear liner though. It's like an invisible forcefield!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've worn the Laura Geller liner by itself several times. It's so pretty. I've never actually used a clear lip liner. I don't seem to have problems with lipstick feathering, but maybe that's because I chew it off so quickly it doesn't have time to.

    ReplyDelete