Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Madame Butterfly in Detroit

I love how this look turned out.


So, what time is it?


Opera time!


This month the Michigan Opera Theater presented Giacomo Puccini's Madame Butterfly.


Madame Butterfly is the tragic story of a Japanese woman (Cio Cio San aka Butterfly) who marries a U.S. Naval Officer (Pinkerton).  Pinkerton leaves Butterfly, who expects him to return, but he doesn't show up again until 3 years later with a new American wife.  Upon his return, he learns that Butterfly gave birth to his son after he left.  He can't handle the truth, so he takes off again like a true coward.  Butterfly agrees to let her son be raised by Pinkerton and his new wife, and, with nothing left in her life to live for, she kills herself.  I couldn't even cry at the tragic end of the opera because I was so pissed off at Pinkerton.

As usual, it was a wonderful production, and we had a great time.  My husband suggested that we start having dinners based on what opera we're seeing that night, so we ordered some take out sushi!  (We've found it's easier to eat at home than at a restaurant before the show so that we can make sure we get to the opera house on time.)


I wore some cool tights with a peacock feather pattern.


I wore some earrings and a matching bracelet that I bought from JewelMint years ago.



I curled my hair using hot rollers and wore a pretty headband.


And now, on to the makeup.  I took these photos at the end of the night.  My makeup and hair held up quite nicely, with only a little wear showing on my nose and chin.








Eyes: from the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette
                  --- Dust (sparkly light pink) used with ELF Mist & Set all over the lid
                  --- Nooner (dark matte mauve) in the crease
                  --- Limit (light matte mauve) above the crease to blend out Nooner
                  --- Strange (light cream) under the brow
                  --- Blackheart (sparkling brownish black) as liner on upper and lower lashlines
       

from left: Blackheart, Nooner, Limit, Dust, Strange

         Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Perversion (very black) on the waterlines
         Mally Voluminizing Mascara

Cheeks: Milani Baked Blush in Fantastico Mauve

Lips: NARS Audacious Lipstick in Anna


from left: Milani Fantastico Mauve Baked Blush, NARS Anna Lipstick


And now, I will leave you with a couple of photographs of the beautiful lobby of the Detroit opera House.



I'm so fortunate to be able to go to operas with my family and have such wonderful times with them!

9 comments:

  1. Ah, such a soft, pretty, romantic look! Anna is gorgeous on you and that sushi is making me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Such a gorgeous look, as usual.


    Seriously am loving that lipstick! It's going on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the opera! But, I guess I am a little biased. I just got the Naked 3! I can't wait to use all of the colors, and I'll try your eye look. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wasn't sure about how I felt about Anna when I first put it on. It's definitely more mauve than I'm used to, but the more I wear it the more I love it.


    The sushi was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jaelan!


    I don't have any other lipstick shade like Anna, so I thought I would try something a little different. The formula is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that he gets so into the opera stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess you would be a fan of the opera! I think you are going to really enjoy the Naked 3. It's absolutely one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I didn't even notice that until you said that. I'm so awesome even when I don't know it. :P

    ReplyDelete