Monday, April 20, 2015

Time for a "Merry" Opera

Ohhh long time no blog.  Well, it's only been about a week and a half, but it seems like a long time to me.  I'm also behind on reading and commenting on my favorite blogs.  Geez.

Anyhow, my parents, husband, and I went to see The Merry Widow by Franz Léhar at the Detroit Opera House about a week ago, and I thought I'd show you some photos of the evening.



The Merry Widow is actually an operetta, so it's kind of like a musical with talking as well as singing, except the songs are opera-y, if that makes sense.  It's the comedic story of a wealthy widow and the attempts by her countrymen to get her to marry the right husband to keep her money in the local area.  That's a pretty poor synopsis, but you get the idea.  No tragedies in this one.

The costumes were bright, sparkly, and fancy; the sets were colorful and big; and it was full of silliness and comedy.  So much fun!

My husband was able to snap a photo of the curtain call.

Deborah Voight sang the lead role of the merry widow (Hanna), which was a real departure for her.  She usually performs in dramatic and "serious" operas.  I saw her perform the role of Brünnhilde (from Wagner's Ring Cycle) at the "Live at the Met" showing in the movie theater.  I really like her voice, and she was very engaging on stage as the merry widow.

Because this is primarily a beauty blog, I'm going to show the makeup I had on my face for the evening.



Eyes: Kat Von D Melancholia eyeshadow (silver -- from the Chrysalis palette)
          Darling Girl Cosmetics Galatea Stardust glitter
          Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper
          Mally Voluminizing Mascara

Cheeks: MAC Mineralize Blush in Just a Wisp

Lips: Milani Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick in Matte Orchid


Here's a little swatch of the Galatea glitter (which doesn't seem to be available anymore).

Blurry so you can see the multi-colored glitter.

Also, because this blog is supposed to have a "dash of fashion", here's what I wore.

Note the sparkly shoes.

My bracelet matches the earrings.  It's a Kenneth Cole set I've had for over 10 years and I think it still looks fashionable.


My clutch was actually from a Sephora brush set (!!!) from a few years ago.  P.S. The brushes were terrible.


My husband tied his necktie in an Eldridge knot.

He wears his wedding ring on a chain when we get dressed up.

And now for some random photos:

My awesome parents.

The orchestra pit.

Inside the Opera House.

The Opera House sign outside the parking lot. (I couldn't get the whole thing in unless I leaned way over the edge, which I didn't want to do.)

Me and my husband with the Wyland whale mural (on the Broderick Tower) in the background.

Inside the Opera House again, because it's just so dang pretty.

We sure looooove opera.  The Michigan Opera Theater always puts on wonderful productions.

Faust is coming up in May!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love your outfit, jewellery, makeup, accessories, everything! I have never heard of that type of tie knot, that looks very classy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I was a little nervous posting a full body shot. I don't usually do that. LOL
    My husband usually tries to do some sort of cool knot with his tie. We both really enjoy dressing up and being fancy, and his ties just take it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete